A Thanksgiving Treat!!! Even people who don't like sweet potatoes will like these!!!
Apologies for not having exact quantities worked out, I generally eyeball these things and taste them at the end to determine what I need to add.
You will need:
- 4 good sized sweet potatoes or yams or both (the fat ones take longer to bake)
- olive oil
- approx 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup or honey (can use more if you like, or use both of them)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp to 1 Tbsp butter or SmartBalance
- approx 1 tsp cinnamon
- approx 1/4 to 1/2 tsp powdered ginger
Any of these (optional):
- approx 1/4 to 1/2 tsp allspice (I make sure I add this at least)
- cloves (if you add all the above, keep the total volume down to 3/4 tsp so not overwhelming)
- maple or vanilla extract if you prefer to syrup
- supposedly black pepper works, but i've not tried it
- pecans sprinkled on the top
Wash and prick the potatoes, dry off, rub skins with olive oil and wrap in foil. Bake at 350-375 until soft. Unwrap and let cool in a bowl (make sure olive oil running off of potatoes goes in the bowl, it helps the flavor). When cool enough to handle, pull off skins and discard them. Add all the ingredients and mix with an electric mixer. OJ quantity should be *just* enough to keep the potatoes moving, not drippy and runny. May want to do a run of the spices and taste to see if more are needed.
Flavors blend well overnight in the fridge. If you taste and you don't find them well-spiced enough, sprinkle some cinnamon and some brown sugar over the top and reheat them.