Are your Allergies worst in the morning?

Mar 21 2011 Published by under Basic Science Posts

Today's post is dedicated to Mr. S. My sad, sniffly Mr. S, who has welcomed the advent of spring with raucous sternutation. We don't understand it. There's no grass yet, the tree pollen is low. But the poor guy is a mess. And over the weekend, as his playing of Black Ops was continually interrupted by vigorous sneezes, we began to notice a certain amount of diurnal rhythm.

The mornings are the worst, no question. Dawn breaks out, and the tissues do too. He's full of gluey misery until about 11am or so, when things seem to generally quiet down. And then, then comes sundown, and the mucus flows most robustly until poor Mr. S finally passes out in a pile of used tissues. Don't worry, we've got antihistamine and lots of it, but it never gets rid of the symptoms entirely.

But being the scientist that I am, I noticed the pattern, he always seemed less miserable in the middle of the day. But the POLLEN can't be all that much better in the middle of the day, right? And at night, shouldn't it be better? But his allergies are worse! Is this normal? What does it MEAN?

I turned to the lit.

Nicholson and Bogie (a very appropriate name given the subject material...) "Diurnal variation in the
symptoms of hay fever: implications for pharmaceutical development" Current Medical Research and Opinion, 1973.

(Source)

Note: Thanks to Le Physiologiste for the paper!!

Many of you have probably heard of hay fever. Am I alone in thinking this must have been a specific allergy? I thought if you had "hay fever" you had to be allergic to something specific...like hay (except I figured it wouldn't be hay). I was thinking it'd be something really common like grass or ragweed. But it turns out that hay fever is MUCH less specific than that, and refers just to allergenic rhinitis, the combination of dust or pollen and a sensitized immune system resulting in one very irritated airway.

Symptoms include: sneezing, watery eyes, runny nose (rhinitis), coughing, wheezing, and acute whinging and misery. The inflammatory responses are triggered via the chemical histamine. When we take allergy meds, we are usually taking antihistamines, drugs which act as competitors for the histamine receptors, binding them up so that histamine cannot hit them, and thus saving us some misery. But this means that you'll have the BEST response to the antihistamines if you can get them in your system before the major histamine flood occurs. So you want to take the meds before your symptoms are worst.

But when is that?

To examine this, the scientists called up over 2000 people around the UK, and asked them about their allergies. Did they suffer from hay fever, what was their primary symptom, at what time of day does it begin to bother them, and when were their symptoms worst. And then they came up with maps of where allergies were the worst around the UK, and how they varied over time of day.

It turns out about 12% of people in the UK suffered from hay fever in 1973 (the numbers are apparently lower now, but it's still about 12% in the US). The area with the most allergy symptoms per capita was south east England (the area surrounding London to the south, containing Kent, Sussex, Surrey, Oxfordshire, and other places that I mainly recognize from Jane Austen novels), followed by London itself (smog anyone?), and south west England (with counties like Cornwall, Gloucestershire, and Dorset). The lowest was Yorkshire (which is toward the north of England). You'd think Scotland would be lowest in hay fever, being a bit colder (less pollen?), but no dice.

The biggest symptom of hay fever was sneezing, followed by runny nose, red itchy eyes, wheezing, and coughing came in last. But the time of onset was what I was REALLY after.

You can see above that the allergies really dominated the morning hours, with a big drop around midday, and a small increase at night (though it looks like wheezing and coughing had bigger increases).

The worst intensity graph looks similar.

And it appears that Mr. S's allergies follow the general trend, getting worse in the morning and at night. The authors talk about how formulations of antihistamines should take this into account, releasing most in the morning or at night. Or you could just take the pill right when you get up.

But I still have questions, and my brief search through the literature found me nothing. WHY do allergies have diurnal variation? The morning I understand, all the flowers opening, the breeze picking up, the pollen counts getting high. But doesn't pollen decrease at night? And shouldn't pollen levels be just as bad at midday when the symptoms appear to often be better? What is going on here? Is there diurnal regulation of histamine receptors, getting lower at midday? Or is there diurnal release of histamine itself? Studies on diurnal release of histamine haven't found any changes, so perhaps its the receptors. Is there some other cause? And why haven't people studied this? Or is it just my failed Pubmed-fu?

If anyone wants to pass along an abstract or three, I'd love to see them! In the meantime, I'm putting Mr. S to bed, and he's taking his antihistamine first thing in the morning, to try and head off the sneezing before it starts.

Nicholson PA, & Bogie W (1973). Diurnal variation in the symptoms of hay fever: implications for pharmaceutical development. Current medical research and opinion, 1 (7), 395-400 PMID: 4149254

• John says:

Some plants bloom or release their fragrance in the evening to attract moths and other nocturnal pollinators. (One example is Evening Primrose.) So it is possible that the evening uptick in allergies is related to that.

I'm among the 12% of Americans who suffer from hay fever. My allergies are definitely worse in the morning, and have cleared up by noon except on really bad days.

• Evil Monkey says:

If I had to guess, cortisol release might have some mildly suppressive effect on the immune system during the prime waking hours?

• Dr Becca says:

This is my guess too! When I have a cold, it's always worse at night, which I attribute to a drop in cortisol.

• Ivalis says:

True! Drop in cortisol starts in the evening and last the all night as the inevitable effect of our circadian rhythm. The consequence: our immune system can freely work against all kind of bugs, including releasing histamine against allergens.

• Nathan says:

Have you considered gravity vs mucus membrane swelling? After laying down at night my nose is the worst, but a few hours standing up helps things. Perhaps we need some hay fever sufferers to volunteer for a midday nap!

• Kat says:

Actually, good point.

My "cure" for horrendous sneezing and a runny nose while in the office (worst between the hours of 7am-11am) has been simply to walk.

When my sneezing gets to the point that I am a distraction to others (and I've used up all my tissues) I just take a quick 1-2 min. walk outside (it must be the musty air ducts of the building...although my doctor says I'm allergic to pollen, too).

Almost instantly, I feel (hyperbole coming) a million times better - just by standing and walking around!

Yet, I sit back down and five to ten minutes later I'm afflicted again.

Could someone clarify as to "gravity vs mucus membrane swelling" if that is an actual possibility? Clearly, I am not in the medical profession.

• Kat says:

Also, I should have added it works simple standing up and walking down the hall while still in the OFFICE, too, or else it just looks like I'm removing myself from the allergen zone.

• Al_the pal says:

My guess is walking increasing blood flow and circulation in the inflamed area and therefore clear and clean the Histamin, contributing to temporary relief of the symptoms.

• Laura says:

Is not related to the walking, you are just removing yourself from the allergen zone! to me, the worst is to stay in my room as soon as I walk off I feel good again. I've tried all thing against dust and mites and nothings has worked out

• michael says:

the inflammation caused by allergies can make the sneezing and itchiness worse, even if you have only minor congestion

what happens when you stand up and walk around is it lowers the blood pressure in your head, effectively reducing the inflammation

when you lie down, your blood pressure is relatively uniform and even over your entire body

if you lie on one side or the other you lower the pressure on the top sinus while increasing it on the bottom

this is extremely effective because the valves in your arteries function best to keep your blood from flowing backwards down your body (towards your legs) and not from side to side

also your body completely stops producing histamine during nREM and REM sleep cycles

BUT

produces histamine in large amounts just before waking

i find that taking antihistamines is most effective when taken just before going to bed and immediately when waking

also to help with congestion
      a combination of ibuprofen and pseudo ephedrine works best

phenylephrine is largely ineffective

and remember, allergies are much easier to prevent than to treat
      as the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth and pound of cure
      and it cannot be more true with allergies

• michael says:

oh i almost forgot!
        for some people who suffer from allergies
        often times the antihistamines will relieve the itchiness but not the congestion

some tips for relief of congestion

dont forcibly sniff when your nose is dripping snot
        imagine your sinuses like they were balloons
        now imagine if you put that balloon in a vacuum

for those who've never seen that before, balloons in a vacuum swell and expand, thats what will happen to your sinuses

when blowing your nose dont forcibly blow, be gentle
        when you vigorously blow you cause the tissue in your sinus to vibrate and slap together causing them to swell more

sometimes the best thing you can do is not blow your nose at all
        but to take tissue (i prefer something that doesnt leave lint) and roll it up and insert up there

everyone knows that after wiping and blowing your nose will become quite sore

it may look silly but may be the most comfortable way of going about it

• A.M.Fleming says:

I have had hayfever since adolescence - now 70. At times, typically spring and early summer, when it afflicts me 24 hrs a day, it is particularly bad, not only on hot dry windy days, but when there is a cool change and rain. Moistness causes pollen grains to extend pollen tubes, I am told, which makes them much more irritating.

I often wake with an irritated nose and throat, but it is far better since I changed feather and down pillows for synthetic ones. Bedroom dust and dust mites also affect people overnight, and daily vacuuming might well help. Particularly if a non-sufferer does the vacuuming.

Thank God for anti-histamines. And down with all the medicos who told me that it was probably due to 'the stress of exams' in my student days (the fact that exams took place in springtime was ignored).

• Laura says:

So... you've taken anti-histamines for almost 50 years now? I'm concerned about the side effects of this drugs, what do you think about that?

• csrster says:

During the summer months I wear a surgical mask during my morning commute and sometimes at other times of day when the pollen count is very high. This seems to help and does make me wonder why medical advice on hay fever treatment rarely if ever mentions the idea. (I could be cynical and suggest it's because it doesn't earn vast splodges of money for Big Pharma.) At any rate it's much more practical than the usual advice of "avoid outdoors during peak pollen periods" and "keep windows closed".

• cupa says:

totally agree, my allergies worst in the morning too..

• Yeah, your Pubmed-fu is no good. There is a huge literature on daily rhythms of allergy and inflammation, but the key word you need is "circadian", not "diurnal".

• chezjake says:

Another source of early spring, pre-pollen season allergens is leaf mold. I'm not sure if there's any diurnal variation to it though.

• @John

There are definitely plants that bloom at night, but the example that you cite (or any other plant that uses insect or other animal pollinators) does not significantly contribute to hay fever symptoms. Hay fever is caused by the pollen of plants that are wind pollinated. (As an aside, this fact should be the first--of many--warning sign that the claims that honey relieves allergy symptoms are complete bunkum.)

I suspect that the culprit here is something circadian or is perhaps related to the level of activity. I tend to have the same pattern of allergy symptoms described above, but I've noticed that my activity level has a lot to do with it. For example, if I go out for a bike ride, even on a day with a high pollen count, the worst of my allergy symptoms won't kick in until after I'm home and getting ready to shower.

• Joanne says:

Hi Sci,

There is a known diurnal variation in presence of eosinophils in the blood (they can move out of bloodstream into connective tissues.) They serve several purposes, including cleaning up histamine. They are more prevalent in the afternoon. (saw it first hand when I used to run labs where students made blood smears).
    I don't have a paper here for you.

• Keith says:

I’ve suffered from terrible hay fever ever since I was a child and experience a noticeable daily rhythm. A doctor once told me that this is due to the cycle of additional pollen being released by plants in the early morning, triggered by the sun, which is then heated by rising temperatures before cooling again and falling back to Earth in the evening, hence the noticeable peaks in symptoms at those times. I’d be interested to know if there is any scientific basis for this claim, but it seems plausible enough.

FWIW, I find it helpful to take anti-histamine medication at these specific times, even if this means taking half a pill in the morning and the other half in the evening. This is true even if the treatment is supposed to be slow-release as the effects are always greater an hour or two after taking a tablet than later in the day. Taking a tablet literally before you move or get out of bed can also be helpful.

• Erika says:

There's still more to it than circadian or diurnal rhythms or the times when pollen abounds. I'm plagued by terrible hayfever symptoms. Yet I don't sneeze in the morning until I "wake up", that is, until I'm awake enough for the thoughts to flow. And intense concentration seems to put a damper on symptoms. That is, if I'm attending a lecture or trying to understand something complex, I will stop sneezing for the period of intense concentration, and then start sneezing again as soon as focus shifts to something lighter. I figure that in my case, the onset of morning sneezes might have something to do with circulation. But how is concentration connected to the sinuses? Why isn't there more research published on variation of symptoms within individuals?

• Raul says:

Yep. I get this exact type of seasonal rhinitis. When I wake up, even before I've opened my eyes, my nose starts itching before going totally mental! (although covering my nostrils with the web of my hand helps a bit before I'm ready to get up). If I've been out and been heavily exposed to whatever pathogens my nose will run non-stop like a leaky old tap until I sleep (or nap in the day lying on my back, head tilted up so gravity doesn't pull the juice from my nose) or until I somehow ignore it...

I believe it's partly 'psychogenic' (a psychological condition although the underlying hayfever is real).

To corroborate this somewhat, it was mentioned in Carl Sagan's 'The Demon Haunted World':
      '... some illnesses are psychogenic. Many can be at least ameliorated by a positive cast of mind...' (p218);
      'What faith-healing characteristically may help are mind-mediated or placebo diseases: some back and knee pains, headaches, stuttering, ulcers, stress, hayfever, asthma...' (p222)
      (http://www.thevenusproject.com/downloads/ebooks/Carl%20Sagan%20-%20The%20Demon%20Haunted%20World.pdf)

So, as you said, it can being alleviated by concentration (distraction), or in other words, by avoiding conscious awareness of it. For us types anyway.

I think you can deal with it by adopting a meditative state of mind when you're not concentrating on something or doing anything that requires conscious thought. I've had some success with it but it's difficult to maintain when there's 'lighter' distractions and also it's hard without daily meditation (think of it as training a muscle). Quietening the mind is one of the simplest but most difficult things a person can do.

• Lori says:

Upon arising today, after my usual sudden and unexplainable onset of runny nose, sneezing, wheezing, and coughing after a night of clear breathing, I was compelled to Google "why are my allergies worse in the morning?" Erika--you're right! As I got involved in reading the posts in this blog, my allergy symptoms entirely went away! Crazy. I guess I'll have to start studying in the mornings!

• Lori says:

Raul, I have found that on my really bad allergy days, taking a nap in the afternoon (on my back so "the juice in my nose" doesn't run out) is the only way I can continue to function throughout the rest of the day. If I don't take a nap on those days, by the time bedtime rolls around I feel like a semi truck is parked on my face.

• Ross says:

Yes Lori! I finally caved in an googled this morning when I just had to get the answer to this crazy morning mucous attack - and sure enough the symptom eased completely while I was reading and typing this. Raul, well done - Carl is ever reliable :)

• Mr. S says:

Follow the money. It is obvious that the tissue industry is behind this.

• Emma says:

Could the meteorology have something to do with it, in the middle of the day the boundary layer is higher - in the morning and evening it shrinks. We know this traps pollutants in a lower layer so it could do the same with pollen...probably not the full cause but an added effect on top of all the others mentioned above

• D. C. Sessions says:

A clue is all I can offer you, but ...

During the daytime, the sun warms the earth, which warms the air immediately above it, which lifts pollen and spores higher into the air. At night, no sun, things settle down. Long ago I remember reading that the density of pollen (and presumably spores) near the ground peaks in the early morning just before and just after dawn.

This shouldn't be hard to track in your area since IIRC the usual pollen/mold count sites sample more than daily.

• darchole says:

I find when my allergies are bad correlates to the heating/air coming on, even with filters on the vents and an air purifier. Forced air systems really suck if you have allergies.

• NatC says:

This is a slight tangent - but it might be related, so please bear with me -and apologies for grossness!
    Coughing (particularly productive coughing where mucus is cleared) is also worse in the morning in diseases that cause lung and bronchial congestion - bronchitis, asthma, pneumonia, COPD, etc. Doctors will usually tell you that it's because breathing rate is slower during sleep and if you are congested, then breathing can also be shallower, and therefore the mucus isn't cleared as effectively while you sleep. When you wake up, your body starts clearing the airways again.
    So maybe the worsened hay fever symptoms is similar - perhaps it's not only due to diurnal rhythms of histamine or receptor function, it might be due to changes in breathing during sleep (particularly switching to breathing through the mouth when your nose is congested) so when morning comes, your body is just trying to clear the airways - and sneezing is effective.

• Ana A. says:

Thank You! I think morning allergies have nothing to do with pollen. I sleep with the windows closed, I have a synthetic pillow, and I clean very often. I was convinced of this after spending our summer in Argentina, during their winter, using different pillows, but still going through the same suffering in the mornings.

I think it has to be related to a body'adjustment after sleeping, and not an environmental cause, since I go through the same process if I take a nap in the afternoon or if I lay down in bed. Please don't get me wrong, I know I still have hay fever, but I dont think it can all be explained through pollen and the environment.

• Sue W says:

A remedy that worked for me was to move to another continent. I got a better job as well ;-)

• V.Karmaa says:

I am a dedicated sufferer of running nose and a loyal customer to the tissue companies.
      My allergy started when I had gone to Sydney, Australia to do my masters. I remember working part time in this place where we had to sort some dusty files, there I slowly started sneezing.

In the beginning I really didn't know much about allergy and anti-histamine drugs (which later turned out to be one of my closest friend after Mr.tissue).

A year later when I returned back to my mountain home of Sikkim, North India, I immediately had Alopecia areata (medical condition in which hair is lost from some or all areas of the body, usually from the scalp.Because it causes bald spots on the scalp, especially in the first stages, it is sometimes called spot baldness). Thank God it healed after a month or two.
      So with my new gift of allergy and alopecia experience, I write this to find a connection of Allergy and the shifting to different countries.
      The cure - Pranayam -a yoga of breathing alternately through the nose. I really have not been able to be persistant. Maybe someone from here could try it out and give a feedback.
      I hope and pray the cure to allergy is discovered, and what a wonderful morning that would be!

• Madhavi says:

The body has its own cycle of course of digesting, cleansing, etc. I've been told by "natural healers" that early morning hours (like 1:30 to 3:00 am) is liver detox time. The liver being the body' s filtering organ...makes sense that it's trying to expelled its accumulated toxins out of the body in one way or the next.
        I've never suffered from hay fever much but my husband has terribly. His best remedy has been a month long fast! It was a gradual one first eating simple foods and including more raw foods as well as bentonite clay and some specific herbal teas, then working up to only liquids for a few days, then back up to solid foods. I would only recommend it under supervision of a professional...but it worked wonders! He didn't suffer from any more allergies (and it was major prior!) for 12-15 years! No kidding! It's now time again to do some cleansing...that's why I'm on this site...We'll do some other less extreme cleansing this time...but cleansing is definitely our "drug of choice"!

• Ryan Ferrell says:

Hey there, take it easy on our botanical friends. There's a lot of plant-bashing in these comments. Plants have a rough time in the morning, too, you know!

Researchers at Duke and my alma mater used microarray gene expression data to show that Arabidopsis maximally activates its immune system in the morning—the same time that the spores from one of its pathogens, downy mildew, are also peaking.

• Stoph says:

Were these people's allergies studied in the context of them having hypoallergenic pillows and bedding? I don't know if I could really trust the data to not be skewed by allergy to dust/mites otherwise.

• MK says:

I agree, bedding could be a culprit. I used to spend the first half of each day carrying a box of tissues.... Then I got a new pillow. Ok so I was a grad student at the time, and a new pillow was an extravagance! Wish I had done so sooner. Allergies mostly gone now although they do flare up seasonally, but nothing nearly as bad as in my younger days. I get new pillows every year now that I have tenure.

• Richard says:

Try Googling [histamine circadian]. I haven't looked at this in a decade or so.. not as many papers as I'd expected by now.. but that's been my working-hypothesis as a major influence on morning allergies for a long time. I recall at least a couple of instances of rapidly transitioning from sleep to being awake co-occurring with a sudden massive swelling of nasal-passages inflammation over the course of what seemed like 15-45 seconds. (Minor aside and major speculation: Co-occurrence of allergies and ~some~ ADDs may be result of altered .. heigthened?.. activity of brain histamine, or H3 receptors. Not sure if research/research-tech has progressed on that. Further Spect'n.. suspect H3 and NE somehow in competition/alternation.)

• Richard says:

Follow-up clarification -- I should probably avoid abbreviations, H3 means the histamine receptors that are in the brain, and NE means norepinephrine. ADDs means Attention Deficit Disorders.

• Haya says:

Thank you Richard! I have seen this connection between ADD & allergies in 2 people so far, one of them being my son. I have wondered greatly about this, since ADD symptoms seem to decrease during seasonal periods when allergies are lower. Thank you for bringing this up! I wonder where I could find more research.

• K says:

My allergies tend to be the worst in the morning. Not by definition, but whenever my body thinks it's morning. I'm on a "graveyard" sleeping schedule and go to sleep around 1-2 pm in the afternoon. I wake up around 8-9 pm and that's when it's usually the absolute worst.

• jr says:

I have relatively mild allergy symptoms, and only when tree pollen is high in the late spring (in my area birch, oak, and maple). I don't even take anything, because the symptoms start in the middle of the night (usu don't wake me) and only last about an hour or two after I wake up.

I don't have central air to circulate the tree pollen within my apt., so one would think symptoms would be worst immediately after time outside in a park, AFTER my morning, afternoon, or evening dog walk, if it had to do with circadian tree pollen rhythms.

To me it is definitely something about me and not the trees, because no outside air can get in my house at 4 am to start it. Maybe I have a delayed response, but why is it always precisely in the middle of the night, regardless of my time of exposure? The answer that the person left about reduced breathing during sleep makes a lot of sense to me-- when I get up and start breathing, blowing my nose, it goes away pretty fast. The breathing doesn't explain the puffy eyes, though, so it could also be about circadian histamines or something else immunological.

Thanks for this interesting post!

• Omar says:

I can relate to you on this. My allergies are the same thoughtout the day, doesn't matter what hour I wake up to, my allergies are the same anytime I wake up. I believe there has to be a problem in the change of respiratory as soon as I wake up. I've had this type of allergy nearly a year now and I am more than 100% sure it's not the pollen in my house, it happens whenever I wake up even naps at any house. I have read somewhere relating these allergies a change of bloodstream when body waking up. I seriously need help with my problem.

• David says:

As the results in your article show, my hayfever is worse in the morning and the evening and less in the day, unless I am in a field or gardening, which makes it worse.

Oddly, by "morning" and "evening" (especially the latter), I mean when I get up and am about to go to bed, which is not necessarily actually morning etc. (I'm not an early riser so 12:00pm-1:00pm is common for me). This suggests that it is connected to me getting up, rather than the time of day.

• David says:

Also, I tend to feel out of breath a lot, athsmatic, along with my nose feeling abit blocked sometimes. I often have to take deep breaths like I've just been running (although I haven't) I used to get athsma when I was younger so it may be the return of that.

• Koko says:

Certainly morning are the worst and definitely it is not due to pollen (my case) but due to some type of dust in the apartment..outside does not affect me but actually helps when I go for early jog in the park full of trees and grass fields, no problems..has to be the apartment..pillows, immune system?..Currently I'm on a vacation and sleep the normal rhythm, that is, at night (as I usually sleep in daytime due to night work) and it is a disaster in the morning..horrible..have to buy new pillows, more frequent vacuuming of carpet, changing window curtains/washing them more frequently, bed sheets? change more frequently...this is what I will do to see if it makes any difference.

• Koko says:

Forgot to mention that on days that I work at nights, 8p to 8am I have no problems with allergies, only on days I'm off but only a little bit as compared to now when I'm off work for about 2 weeks and sleeping every night.

• AJeezy says:

OK...I'd like to pose a very easy theory as to why allergies are worse in the morning and night. Let's examine the root of allergies...

Allergies are caused by an overactive immune system that activates histamine which in turns triggers an inflammatory response - feel like crap. A study in 2008 showed that the immune system is much more active during the night when your body is at rest. See below -

"These results suggest that immunity is stronger at night, consistent with the hypothesis that circadian proteins upregulate restorative functions such as specific immune responses during sleep, when animals are not engaged in metabolically costly activities," Stanford researcher Mimi Shirasu-Hiza said in a news release issued by the conference organizers.

It makes sense (to me) that as we lay down or are awakening our bodies already over-active immune system goes bizerk and releases histamine (probably a lot) to any allergen our body encounters - Response from Koko and K backs this theory. I think the whole "pollens and flowers open up in the morning" idea is BS.

• jaipal singh innovator says:

defined nicely the body s inner temperature and outer atomospheres temp differs in the morning time !so more sneezing takes place !

• Brian says:

I also suffer from seasonal allergies and true to form, they are for the most part worse in the AM. One thing I've found that helps with my symptoms is the consumption of a complete EFA morning and night. By EFA, I mean Essential Fatty Acid pill. I'm interested in garnering any insight as to why EFA's seems to abate my symptoms. My guess is that the fatty acids reduce the inflammation caused by the allergic response in my body, but I have neither data to confirm this theory, nor have I seen any related information. Cheers!

• Dina says:

As a lifelong sufferer of allergies and asthma and thus being a mouth-breather, I have had some respite from lining my nasal passages with either Vaseline or Sav-lon (an antibacterial cream) before sleeping at night, and again during the night if I wake up. It does not abate the violent morning sneezing sessions completely, but it seems to help the overall immune system cope a bit better with the onslaught of waking up. Keeping feet the same temperature as they were in bed at all times upon waking - no matter what season - also seems to help. aCHOO.

• Crystal says:

Perhaps he is allergic to something in or around his bed. I used to have the worst allergies in the morning, but also sometimes at night. It turned out that I had mold inside one of the air ducts that was located right above my head. Dust and animal dander could play a role too if a room is carpeted.

• My allergies are worst in the morning. If I wake up an lay in bed I am fine, but when I sit upright, my sinus cavity begins to tingle as my fluids re-adjust. It's that very same tingle which causes the bombardment of sneezes. After my daily morning attack, pretty much anything with a fragrancy smell will irritate my sinus and begin the itchy sneezing fiasco all over again.

• Rita says:

Found this blog searching for an explanation for my regular evening sneeze attack during pollen season (- so not all year round, and worst on sunny days).
    It happens around 8-9 p.m., when I'm usually in my sofa, relaxing, but not lying down. It doesn't seem to matter if I've been doing other stuff (walking around, going outside, exercising) up until then - or been a real couch potato all day, sitting in that same sofa for hours without sneezing at all. (- So yes, the sofa (only 1 year old) could be the cause, but it can't be the only one.)
    I take one antihistamine pill every morning all year round (doctor's orders), so that may be the reason I don't have a similar sneeze attack in the morning - but on the days when I forget to take the antihistamines, the symptoms are rarely sneezing, but rather difficulty breathing, (you know, feeling like you're lying down and someone is sitting on your chest) - the typical asthma symptoms... and then later on the allergy ones like red runny eyes, itching in the roof of the mouth and so on. But all that makes sense - take your medication or you will have symptoms. Expose yourself to allergens and you will have symptoms.
    What I don't get is the sneezing!
    Could it be that my antihistamines are simply wearing off? Or a change in pollen-activity, as many of you suggest? That circadian rythm/cortisol-explanation sounds plausible too. Sitting up vs. lying down doesn't though, at least not in relation to sneezing, in my case (- but whenever I'm sick or asthmatic, it does matter). Could eating patterns have anything to do with it? How about light? - Right now sneezes are right about sundown, but I haven't kept track for very long... All my other allergy symptoms are predictable by other factors, but not by time of day like the sneezing. It's a mystery!

• Ted says:

I like that you use such big words for a feeling of psuedointelect, but you can't get your grammar right in the title.

• Kim says:

I suffer from this same problem - significantly worse morning rhinitis. I have noticed it seems to be affected by what I eat the day before. The more sugar and junk the worse the symptoms. I took a health cruise once where no sugar was included in the menu plan and I noticed a huge improvement ( maybe 90%) of my morning allergies. I have heard sugar and food chemicals can impact your immune system so don't know if that is what is going on.

• Nancy says:

You're examining the wrong thing. Your body isn't reacting ONLY to the environment alone. Your body is reacting to the combined effect of the histamines that you already have in your body (that you should have) PLUS the reaction to histamine produced by the environment / which is pretty much the same but the histamine in your body is NOT.

Imagine a cup of water. It's filled almost to the top but not overflowing. We'll call it 80% full. The water in your cup is the natural and needed and healthy amount of histamine in your body that you and even non-allergic people have. (You do know the body makes 4 kinds of histamine right? You do know that the body needs histamine to keep the heart pumping right? )

Okay...now...say the environment encourages your body to make an EXTRA 20% histamine due to allergies. Clearly this would fill up your histamine glass but you wouldn't be miserable at this amount or have symptoms at a full glass...at 100% histamine.

HOWEVER in the morning your body makes MORE it's own natural and needed/good 95% histamine (glass 95% full) BUT the environment (being the same) stimulates the same 20% histamine. = 95% + 20% = oops! Now you have an overflowing cup. Yes? ---- you suffer.

But then in the afternoon your BODY makes less...the normal and needed 80% histamine while the environment stimulates/contributes that same extra 20% of histamine (your cup does not overflow) and now your much better in the afternoon - yes?

------ However in the evening your body makes about 90% histamine in the evening but your allergies from the environment are still reacting at 20% more histamine on top of that...so now > your cup is overflowing again and you're sick but not AS sick as in the am...

Get it?
    The histamine your body naturally makes and needs changes throughout the day.
    The histamine that is stimulated by the environment does NOT change throughout the day ------- and people who do have allergies have a problem with any amount of EXTRA histamine that is already added to the body's natural amounts...and will react if when put together is more than the body can eliminate. (100%+)

This is kind of simplified but it's true. My allergist explained it to me this way.
    Allergic people have a reaction to the environment that creates more histamine on top of what their body is already making (and handling okay). The change in symptoms you feel is not because you are MORE allergic, but rather because you have allergies on TOP of fluxuating normal body histamine levels.

Everyone's histamine fluxuates like that...it's part of our body cycles through the day. Allergic people just have too much histamine in TOTAL during times that would be high for natural and needed histamine in the body anway.

• Tam says:

Very well put Nancy that explains a lot, I don't suffer thankfully but my wife does and it's the usual kind of cycle you guys have but in particular a Saturday when we go out shopping, yesterday was terrible and that was after reaching for a tablet as soon as she opened her eyes, very rarely is it as bad on a work day or Sunday when we're at home, so the common factor here is shopping malls (air con) restaurants (air con) I'm guessing obviously, but the main thing here is to ask for your tips on prevention and cure or even which antihistamine medication to use eg Piriton or supermarket brands which I believe they don't contain the additive Piriton has.
    Any help would be appreciated.

• Mike says:

Couldn't stop laughing at some of the replies above. But lets be clear on one thing - Mr. Tissue is not your friend, far from it, he leads you down the garden path with his promises but really is only feathering his own bed. Have you ever seen the dust in a tissue when you blow your nose and the sun beams through the window in the morning - you honestly can not believe the amount of dust - its ridiculous. The solution to this may be a slightly embarrassing one but one which must be followed if you want to stop pumping this dust up your nose. Its basically to blow your nose into baby wipes - yes you heard me - baby wipes. There is no dust in those things cause they are moist. Whether you carry around a pack of them in your coat or not is up to you but its a first step in the fight back against nasal issues.

Some of the reasons I believe allergies are worst in the morning may be as follows and I don't think Mr. Clock is to blame.

1. Its positional - try sleeping sitting up - I believe they used to do this in olden days cause the houses were so damp - many people had nasal issues, this was a cheap solution.

2. Drop in body temperature. I find if I only wear socks in the morning, my cold feet lead to worse sneezing and the likes. Your body temperature suffers a severe shock as you get out from your warm bed. You need to over-clothe, put on some shoes and get a hot bowl of porridge into you. This will hasten the onset of the madness.

3.Mind-over-matter definitely has an impact on my allergies as previous contributors have outlined. Stay positive and busy in the morning - don't sit around feeling sorry for yourself

4.Don't invite the allergic response by blowing your nose unless you absolutely must. The more you blow your nose, the more mucus your body seems to produce. I know this is sometimes impossible.

Best of Luck in the struggle!

Mike.

• Ryan says:

I've been suffering morning allergies for quite some time. They seem to have gotten worse in the past two years or so. Right now, I am awake at 5 am not because I have to get up for work, but because I woke up sneezing, and by now, taking a Zyrtec is too late. I will (and am) now sneezing relentlessly. Though taking a Zyrtec, 5mg, before bed DOES seem to help. Placebo? I don't think so.

I've sanitized my bedroom, put in wood floors instead of carpet, I do my bedding about once a week, two at the most, and I have a roomba that diligently cleans the dust off the floor.

I typically keep my windows closed, but I DO like fresh air, so, it's hard not to open them. But, I've found that even if I keep the windows closed for weeks at a time, meaning ALL ELSE IS "STABLE" in the environment, I will still start sneezing in the middle of the night on one day, and sleep just fine on another. There's no discernible pattern!

I speculate, as some of us do, that it might have something to do with diet affecting the histamine response and pushing it over the top. I guess I'll start keeping a food journal to see if I can find any correlation.

I am 43 years old and (what many would say) a VERY health conscious person....

Sigh (Sneeze),

Ryan

• Pradeep says:

I have had morning sneeze and runny nose for the last two years. Few months back i fell ill (viral fever) and took bed rest. The sneeze and runny nose was at its worst. At this time, i did steam inhalation, three times a day for a week. I was amazed to find that i didnt have the morning sneeze and runny nose for a month. Each steam inhalation i did for 5 miniutes. First inhalation as soon as I rise from bed in the morning. The second one after lunch and third at night after food just before retiring to bed. Now i am back to my busy life so unable to do the three time steam inhalation. So its back to square one.

• Rachael says:

I began to experience symptoms after living on a main road in a dusty house which also had mould problems, and I never had issues prior even when living in a state that is renowned to producing allergies. I also began to see an increase of symptoms after eating certain foods, which led to some research. There are some foods that do contain histamines and may incease symptoms in some people. I have found that alcohol (particularly beer and wine) increased sneezing and a stuffy congested nose because alcohol contains histamines. There are other foods (and some fruit and vegetables, and tea) that contain histamines as well. I do try to lessen these type of foods when allergies are bad but of course everyone is different but a food diary as suggested by Ryan could be a good idea. But first try 2 weeks eating foods with no histamines and then increase foods bit by bit and see which ones produces a response. You'll be surprised!

• bhupen says:

Hello i am really feeling worst situation in my life. In the morning and evening time i always felt my nose blocked and feels sneezing. I found it's kind of allergy because i took citrazin it solve my problem but only for one day. i dont want to be used for this tablet. When i feel sneezy then i also feel itiching on my eyes... Please send me some solution on my email id: bhupenrules@gmail.com. iam really fed up with this disesease... advance in thanks

• Lee says:

My allergies which i have now had for 12 years or so start the instant i wake up and last to around 11-12 EVERY day ALL year round. I have had operations, which seem to help the problem for about 6months and its slowly comes back. I have tried every spray and tablet known to man but my body gets used to it and stops working. The only thing thats ever worked is Steroid spray/tablets, of course you cant live on them forever. This is ruining my life, I cant lie in and relax, I sneeze constantly for 2-3 hours a day, i once counted over 200! (sad i know). I have a red band which appears across my nose and cheeks and sometimes there is a blue bruise like mark on the bridge of my nose, it drains me, its annoying for me and other, I am constantly sniffing and have an itchy nose even when the allergies are not present, I do get it at night but rarely, usually it will be if i go to bed early and watch TV, It has actually even woken me up in the middle of the night before! I have anti allergy bedding, I dont have my window open often and i clean very regularly!! I had given up on doctors, i even was going private for many years, this week i have decided to see my GP again! I am looking for answers, can anyone shed any light?

• Bee says:

Aww, I was so happy when I found this article! I thought that it would be the solution to all my problems. sadly, when I got to the last paragraph, I realize that there was no solution at all :-(

Then, reading all of these comments, I actually feel a lot better knowing that there are other people who suffer with what I've been suffering for my whole life! my parents use to take me to school everyday with me in the back seat with a pile of tissues from sneezing and blowing my nose :-( they just assumed that that's just how I was so to speak, and did nothing to figure out what the problem was.

Fast forward 15 years, I've grown weary and tired of sneezing and blowing my nose to the point where I'm just now really looking into the sources of this problem. I can relate to a lot of your posts! For me, my symptoms have grown worse over the years. I have begun to tie my symptoms to the food I ate the night before, or even the day before. I started eating more raw foods in my diet, so that my body can be more clean that polluting it with the fast food and salty food I use to always eat. Salt really triggers my sneezes, a lot. So now I try to avoid foods that have high sodium content, like salty potato chips. I try to cook more of my own foods now. I make sure to dilute as much sodium out of my foods as I'm cooking them. so, the days where I indulged in a bag of salty chips where times when I suffered the most the next morning, for example. But days where I ate less and ate more fruits and natural foods, I would suffer less in the mornings. I'm still tracking this so i'm not 100% about it yet. I'm sure there is still so much that I'm missing.

Thanks to the poster who mentioned varying levels of histamines in different fruits. I've noticed that I sneeze more after eating certain fruits. Or maybe under-ripe fruits. I to drink lots of water, I never drink sodas or alcohol, and I find hot teas soothing like green tea.

A fiend of mine who used to suffer from this as well had some sort of nasal surgery. He now takes medication everyday and doesn't have the symptoms anymore, from what i last heard. he recommended that I not blow my nose so hard like I usually like to. He says to simply wipe the mucus from the outside of my nose. He believes that I can blow a membrane blowing too hard. he also recommended that I have a doctor check this before it gets any worse to the point where surgery is my only option. I've had a clinic recommend a nasil spray, but family members advised that I not use that because they are steroids. so I never actually used my prescription. instead, I look for more natural solutions, like nasal saline sprays.

I cook a lot of my own food now and I eat gluten free. I've been a pescetarian for 4 years and I hope to go vegan one of these days.

I must also mentioned that I am anemic, if that means anything to anyone. So I'm always cold. I always have a space heater under my desk at work to keep me warm. Right now, it's 6:40 am and my portable heater is blowing hot air onto my face and chest and its soooo unbelievably soothing... and my sneezing spell has stopped. Sleeping with my back to a heating pad is also soothing... not advisable but helps not only with my back pain but also with my sneezing. When i'm in stressed positions like leaning on my desk to type on my keyboard, that would trigger sneezing as well. I've been wanting to invest in a humidifier. Anytime there is a draft like air conditioning ducts blowing air, this tends to titillate my nostrils causing me to sneeze. Also i noticed when i lay down, the internal faucet in my noise begins to drip slightly into the back of my throat. I'm going to consider sleeping more upright like one poster suggested.

thank you all for your input on this comment tread! I am going to look up a lot of these terms that have been used and try out a lot of these suggestions and recommendations :-)

• Mike says:

One item of interest that has been mentioned a few times in the posts above.... is the curious disappearance of symptoms when ones mind focuses on something that is all consuming and does not allow for the conscious acknowledgement of the symptoms.

How many of you have experienced this apparent phenomenon?

So really does your mind have the power to negate the effects of histamines on the body by simply ignoring them or is something else happening here?

Possibly but I believe something else is happening here.

If we can just replicate that something else then maybe we can stop what is happening.

When one is fully concentrated on something else, ones breathing returns to a normal state, as in you are not conscious of taking breaths or deep breaths or sniffing in air or breathing it out and all the irritation that goes with that - basically your breathing is no longer out of whack and most importantly you are not over-breathing.

I read this article here

when my allergies led me to mouth breathing all night due to a stuffed up nose.

Please pay attention to the first image which shows capillary constriction due to hyperventilation (over breathing) due to lack of CO2 in the blood.

Basically the theory is that when you over-breathe you end up reducing oxygen supply to the nose and the blood vessels become constricted, (this led to my persistent mouth breathing.) Once the capillaries in the nose are constricted , its blood supply is reduced and its normal operation is affected (causing an abnormal reaction in the morning when people get up from their sleep.)

I have carried out the instructions that they have supplied on the site(, holding the nose , the breath etc) and I have to say that in the past 3 weeks I have not had to take antihistamines at all.

Food for thought

Mike (again).

• Monica says:

I'm so glad to know I'm not alone. I too have been suffering allergies for, like, 20 years now, since I was a teen. But they used to be more seasonal. Lately, it seems like I wake up in a sneezing/dripping frenzy every day. I'm getting so tired of this. It's heart breaking.

It doesn't help that I've had 3 pregnancies back to back. My, ehem, pregnancy supporting muscles are not as strong now and every other sneeze comes accompanied by, well, you probably know. So embarrassing and uncomfortable. Sigh.

• Sunny says:

(off tangent) I too am a sufferer; best remedy I found (apart from the anti-histamine) was to run after my runny nose. Running in the morning allowed me to clear my airways (not pleasant but effective!), I also got fit and lost weight in the meantime.

Distraction is also effective; after my morning running I get into my routine and I find that the day passes without (much) sneezing.

/if you have a runny nose/run after it/

• Andrew says:

I got sick of taking antihistamines.

What has worked for me is taking 1000 mg of calcium in a water soluble fizzy tablet. Not sure why but the pill form does not work as well, probably because its ot absorbed as well by the stomach lining.

Ok so in summary from above

Eat raw foods
    Experiment with the histamine producing foods to find the ones that cause trouble
    Do steam inhalation 3 times a day
    Do a detox
    Wear a surgical mask
    Do nose unblocking breathing exercises

• Amanda says:

I didn't start suffering from hay fever until my mid-30's despite both parents and my sister having it. I thought I'd dodged a bullet after seeing what they went through but lo and behold, it erupted when I was going through a stressful period and I haven't been able to shake it since. Like so many people above, it happens the minute I start to wake up and usually improves once I leave the house and go outside.

When it first came on I went through the process of elimination (changing to latex pillows, low irritant laundry detergent, sleeping with windows closed, vacuuming twice weekly even though I have floor boards) but nothing made a huge difference. Nasal sprays prescribed by doctors made only a small difference and were expensive. A naturopath advised me to cut out red wine and a few other likely culprits but they also failed to cure the morning misery. On bad days I usually take a Telfast but now am pregnant so can't turn to that. I've tried a neti pot to flush salt water through my nostrils which sometimes helps.

The comments above to do with concentration and meditation/breathing exercises are interesting and since I can't depend on drugs at the moment I'm going to start morning meditation as soon as I wake up. I usually do yoga once a week and even if it's bad at the start of the class by the end of the class after finishing a deep meditation my sinuses are always clear. Here's hoping some mind over matter will provide relief!

• Aimee says:

This is a great discussion but so long! :)

My hayfever too is completely gone while I sleep and comes back the moment I wake up, but I noticed something weird recently. My sneezing and sniffling goes away completely just by laying down. I still have the stuffy nose, but it gets better the longer I go without sneezing and sniffling, which requires blowing which results in nasal swelling and stuffiness, and if I have just spent eight hours sleeping and laying down, that explains why I feel so good just as I'm waking up. If my allergies are a histamine reaction, why does it go away just by reclining?

• Jim says:

if my windows are closed why would I be affected by any plants?

• Juje van den Noort says:

Is there anything besides Afrin, which I know has rebound that I can use in my stuffy nose. I am miserable with sneezing, blowing, etc.

• Mike says:

Me again. :-)

I have been off antihistamines for six months now. Something which really works for me is,

1. Smear Vicks VapoRub below your nostrils going to bed at night.
    2. Leave the window to the bedroom slightly open ( to avoid room getting stuffy)
    3. Try to breathe through your nose as much as you can during the night.

If you are a mouth breather at night it basically causes your nose to get blocked and the nose will try to correct itself in the morning hence leaving most peoples allergies worst in the morning.

I have seen it recommended by medical professionals that people who are mouth breathers at night should tape their mouths going to bed. The tape should run vertical across the lips ( from nose to chin) and not horizontal. Use medical tape too.

Give it a try - P.S. distraction is great too.

• Adion says:

Hi, this is very helpful post, I can say that my allergies tend to become severe in the spring-summer time of the year, when the environment is full of allergens,pollens, etc. I found for my self that having healthy lifestyle and healthy food in my diet regime helps me a lot to deal and cope properly with my allergy problems. The medications can help only to some extend and I generally don't recommend them. I think the key to get rid of the allergy is to keep your general,overall health to the optimum levels as I mentioned above, with sticking to healthy lifestyle and activities like: sport, fitness, eating mainly vegetables and fruits, drinking allot or at least enough water thru the day.

Here is some info on allergy: http://www.domehealth.com/2013/05/allergic-rhinitis-symptoms-causes.html

• Joyce says:

I find my allergies are much worse in the morning. I have tried taking allergy meds before bed but wake up feeling so drowsy I have trouble concentrating. I have not found one that is really effective and I have tried a number of them.
    I don't like the feeling of being "out of it". I do not get the sneezing as much as the congestion.
    Any ideas??

• Sue says:

Wow a lot ideas and input here no simple cure to something that affects a person for decades

20 year sufferer myself I will trying the following:

Better eating because i love my chocolates (I did say simple cure)
    Exercise in the mornings (suppose I should get up eventually even if I leaking a tap)
    Better breathing through controlled nose breathing (yes I know ist blocked!) the below paragraph relives that. Thanks for the link mike!

Pinch your nose and walk fast with your blocked nose pinched and your mouth closed all the time. You likely will be able to make around 20-30 steps. While walking, you should hold your breath until a strong urge to breathe. Then sit down with your spine totally straight and focus on your breath. After you release your nose, resume your usual breathing (not with deep breaths) and keep the mouth closed. Hence, instead of taking a big inhalation, take a smaller inhale and then relax all muscles for exhalation, especially the upper chest and other respiratory muscles. Take another (smaller) inhale and again relax. With each inhalation, practice this reduced or shallow breathing while remaining relaxed.

• Hayfever sufferer says:

Re: Are your allergies worst in the morning? (Or from evening to night for that matter)

The explanation is that warm air, rising up from ground level on a summer’s day, takes pollen with it high into the earth’s atmosphere. When the air cools down after sunset, this pollen slowly descends again — an invisible “pollen shower.”

Here's some good info, alternatively search for "pollen shower".

Apologies if this has already been mentioned above.

• Claire says:

I suffer from terrible hayfever and am on 180 strength Fexofenadine from the docs. If I do not control my hayfever it turns to sinusitis. I have always found that on the whole my hayfever is far worse first thing in the morning, I feel terrible for the first hour or so after waking. I always put this down to the fact that the antihistimine had worn off as I take it in the morning, so by the time I wake up I am due another tablet.

I must add that although my tablets keep my hayfever at a manageable level, it does not clear my symptoms totally. However I do not seem to get bitten by insects whilst I am taking them. Perhaps I am just lucky!.

• Sneezy Wheezy says:

I am having "one of those mornings" today & have come to feel that this AM sinusitis isn't so much the product of pollen but of particulate matter of all kinds falling with the dew. I've been this way since childhood & yes, it's worse during high-pollen times of the year; but also when the weather is cool & damp. I slept with the windows open last night, & there was a marked change in the weather overnight. I've never been able to sleep with the windows open except during the driest weather. My concept of this is supported by my having developed asthma in adulthood that the dr. attributed to outdoor air pollution - the first full-on asthma attack I ever had was while out walking in a metro area on a "bad air" day. My usual pollen allergies (focused mainly on grasses) seem to react similarly to nighttime air quality.

• HELP IVE FALLEN AND I CANT GET UP says:

Ummm, im allergic to my dog... HELP ME THEYRE TAKING MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Xenot says:

Are you sure it's really the dog? My niece, who allergic to anything dairy that comes out of a chicken or cow, thought she was allergic to certain dogs. It turned out she was allergic to some of the ingredients in the dogs' food. If they contained whey or eggs, she would be affected. (Keep in mind she is so allergic, she carries an epipen everywhere and is an adult, so this is lifelong.) I also thought I was allergic to certain cats and dogs. After being tested, I found out I had no animal dander allergies with exception to cattle dander (good thing I''m a city girl). It was the pollen on the animal's coat during the spring and summer, and the dust mite by products in the fall and winter. Throw in the black mold problems during the wet season, and I live in the Pacific NW, and you've basically got a recipe for year-round suffering. But, I was happy to find that if I wipe down the cat with a moist towel, I no longer suffer ... which is awesome because he sleeps on top of my head!

• Thanks even though I only read the paragraphs to see the comments and to help my friend with her allergy problems. Also, I am way younger than you. But on the bright side, I understood half of what you said. Good Work though!! BTW No, I do not have allergy problems. Thanks for the Help!

• HELP I'VE FALLEN AND I CAN'T GET UP, is my friend BTW. She is allergic to her dog, and no, she is okay at the moment and doesn't need Life Alert. Just helping with the creepiness as always, you friend, Creepy Stalker that Likes Ice-Cream, Preferably Orange Sherbet

• Thanks for the help! I don't know what I'd do without them. My allergies to my bed are getting worse every day. I don't know why they suck while I'm in bed or when I get up in the morning. Also, I'm slightly worried about my dog, he's going crazy.... well, the vet doesn't really know what to do with him but I refuse to put him to sleep... I mean why would they call murdering your dog something as peaceful as sleep?? I mean I love sleeping in my bed... other than the fact that my allergies go up a lot there. Either way, Thanks For the Help!!

• Xenot says:

I think people are way overthinking this time-of-day issue with allergies. I have EXACTLY the same histamine output timing as the author. Has anyone looked into the fact that certain plants pollenate at certain times of the day? You're probably acutely allergic to grasses. That's my issue. Grasses are usually at the height of their pollen output in the morning and in the evening. At least that was what I was told by an allergist. It does make sense because although I am allergic to many, many things, the severity is no match for that of my grass allergies. There's practically nothing I can do to alleviate them. I also follow the dosing instructions for any and all meds because they are there for a reason. Depending upon your body mass and the drug itself, there is a level that becomes toxic (LD), and there are also the contraindications to deal with if you take anything else, drink wine, eat certain foods, are on the pill, etc. It's just not wise to OD on anything. I am so allergic to grasses, when I had the needle prick test done, the section on my upper arm for grasses became horribly red and inflamed. I immediately started sneezing and coughing, and the doctor pulled me out of the test room and gave me a shot of adrenalin. It was all quite exciting but it happened so fast, no one told me what was going on until I started shaking from the adrenalin. According to the tester, she had never seen such a severe reaction to a simple needle prick test. She had already nailed down the fact that grasses were most likely my biggest problem because of the timeline of when my symptoms were at their most severe. She was right. I think you have a grass allergy my friend. You can get tested to be sure, but the timing really coincides with my issues, and I know of no one who has an allergy to grasses that is worse than mine. I just thank my lucky stars that I don't have asthma and that I'm an unusually fit woman who can just jump down and do 100 push-ups without much fuss. I keep fit because of my allergy issues. That's about all I can do ... oh, and Zyrtec! Loratadine doesn't work on me at all. I might as well swallow a jelly bean.

• rockon7 says:

Thanks for writing and I can relate to most of you with a yes, yes, yes....that's me! Much of the advise makes sense and I do many of them including sleep with elevated head and keeping a dust free home (I was tested allergic to dust mites). For me much, not all, is food/toxin related. I can heal myself for the most part if I fast twice a year using the "Prescription for Natural Healing" method by Phylis Bach a nutritionist whose husband is an md who aided her in her research. No I don't get any kickbacks but this book is readily available at most health food stores and even grocery stores like HEB in TX and Whole Foods.

In addition to the morning sneeze-a-thon, my allergies/hay fever/elevated histamine levels when extreme can cause coughing (mostly onset in the evening) to the point I can't hardly breath. Some years ago I was prescribed an inhaler (it works!), nose spray and antihistamines for those occasions but I rarely use because I prefer healing conditions not masking symptoms---when at all possible. One thing that always helps and sometimes stops symptoms within 10 minutes is taking 3 papaya enzyme tablets. They are chewable, taste like little sugar tablets, inexpensive, and readily available at most grocery stores, (I get the the type without peppermint because mints make me sneeze). This can work if started very early in the coughing episode and lets me know if it was food related. Sometimes I use mind over matter successfully; but its hard to concentrate on anything if its reached the violent sneezing point obviously. Self awareness (paying attention to my environment/foods and I respond), avoiding allergens and deliberate breathing help tremendously. For me, I also notice the more I pray (similar to meditation but not exactly) the more peace I have and consequently less symptoms.

I'm way overdue for a fast (fyi I'm a normal weight and fasting doesn't effect it) and my symptoms have crept up to a noticeable level. Until I get myself to fast, and when I have the next sneezing episode, I can't wait to try the advise of plugging my nose while walking 20 steps and then shallow breathing....hoping it works. Good luck and enjoyed your posts!

• Now I am going away to do my breakfast, after having my breakfast coming
    again to read additional news.

• allergy sufferer says:

I tend to get large histamine boosts right before I go to bed. I have suffered from this for the longest since moving from az to Louisiana. I tend to get these tiny white bumps all over my body. They itch like hell. As soon as I fet home from work, I must take Benadryl or else I WILL NOT be able to sleep. Does any one have any solutions? I don't want to have to take them for the rest of my life, Please Help!

• Jamie says:

I got sick 6 years ago, continually flu like sick to the point my life became a misery effecting my high end face to face sales job which I lost as a result unable to explain my sickness. It started at 30 when i spent a weekend in a country cottage, the flu like symptoms came on almost immediately and never went away, for 2 years I woke up every day 5 am with streaming eyes, blocked swollen sinuses, loss of taste, smell, fatigue, coughing and shortness of breath. I took antihistamine the weekend my illness at the cottage was triggered, I'm not so stupid to have gone such a length of time without popping an anithismine but no over the counter brand worked so I ruled allergies out unable to explain the persistence of the syptoms occurring the same time of day no matter where I sleep or go. Desperate for answers years on living daily all year round like this I studied the internet, my patterns and went to a private doctor with my findings to be tested, the results conclcuded I had allergies to grass, birch trees, dust, dust mites, pollution, cats, dogs, hazelnut. . Their only the ones I remembered. Remove yourself from the environment causing it the doctor says, that would be to disappear off the planet I tell him. Given a prescription of fexodine, quality of life has improved slightly but only just, some days nothing helps, I can't not take the medication and sadly of recent developed mild asthma which I believe is linked to my allergies however I did discover that I was able to take less medication when near the sea, cleaner air I guess. I've accepted my condition but still curious to the patterns causing the allergy so one day I might be able to find a way to break them.

• Bolanle says:

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences. Particularly JAMIE, I have had this same condition for 2years now and have been to the Dr time and time again, I might just get a blood test like you did and know my fate once and for all.

I'm glad to know it's not just me and that a solution/cure might be out there.

God bless.

• mike says:

I have been popping antihistamines like a junkie all summer - I decided I would not use the nasal sprays this year. I was hoping that my allergies would calm down now that its winter time but unfortunately they have not. I'm probably not a bad case but I was taking an antihistamine tablet roughly every 2-3 days in November. The morning runny nose thing has been going on for a few years now - its a pain in the ass. Anyway here is my recent find,

I get up in the morning and give my nose a few blows to clear out the night time gunk. This usually initiates the runny nose cycle. However for the past 15 days I go and get the Vaseline and smear a small bit on my finger and stick my finger up my nose and smear it all around the inside of it. Use enough so the inside of each nostril is covered but not enough so that it becomes a physical obstruction or irritant to the nose. ( I have read before that this is actually the recommended way of controlling hay fever). My nose continues to run for a short while and sometimes i need to blow it (softly since I dont want to remove the Vaseline I just put up there. ) However the Vaseline then seems to contain the problem. I have not taken an anti histamine for the last 15 days which is good but also I have noticed I can breath better at night. Sometimes I reapply the vaseline half way through the day if needs be.

Wondering if others could try this to see if it works for them too. I just have had such a good 15 days that I had to share this.

• Angel says:

I have chronic allergic rhinitis. I have tried tons of treatments. Right now I am having mometasone sprayings each night. Before this treatment my nose was completely useless, all my breathing was mouth breathing. With the spray I feel lots better but when I don't take it the problems appear again.

I feel the same increase in allergies at mornings and nights, and I have no idea why is that or what could be causing it. I guess (and its a pretty wild guess) that I must be allergic to something I am eating, like diary or gluten. However, my tests show positive only for wheat, but the plant, not its edible forms.

Guess I need to take a test on celiac disease.

• Angel says:

Btw, as other people here. I've been having the symptoms for about 6 years now. But I'm pretty confident there should be some treatment. I think the hard part is finding out what triggers the condition. The easy one should be taking injections or some medication for a few years.

• Lynn says:

I have COPD and the bronchial congestion is always worse from noon until about 4 p.m.

• gary smith says:

I've got vasomotor or non-allergic perrennial rhinitis. I've been tested for allergies since I was a kid when I had severe asthma, and I've been tested as an adult as recently as five years ago when I had a 4 month long sinus infection---at Mayo Clinic, no less---and nothing shows up. I'm 62 years old and like I say it doesn't matter what time I get up (I'm retired), I get sneezing attacks within a half hour of rising. At first I thought it was the banana I eat every morning or the coffee that I follow that up with or when I took my morning dump. But it doesn't matter what I'm doing or how long I slept the night before. I usually can feel the attack coming. It's a slight irritation in the back of my nose, usually when my nose is clear. If I can mix up a hypertonic sinus rinse and use it before I start sneezing , I can completely prevent it. This is a must for me because if I have a sneezing attack i'm miserable for the next 2-3 days with a blocked nose. I take a daytime antihistamine right away when I get up also nasalcrom. Neither one prevents the sneezing attack. But the sinus rinse does. Sometimes it takes two rinses to completely get rid of the irritation that precedes the sneezing attack. Sometimes before I'm able to heat the sinus rinse or start using it I'll sneeze a few times. But the sinus rinse will abort the attack, and I'm not as miserable the next few days. I also take a steroid spray twice a day and a spray antihistamine (azelastine) twice a day. Sometimes the sneezing urge comes AFTER I've taken all my morning meds. So obviously they don't prevent it either. There's something about getting up and moving around that triggers it . If I lie in bed for an hour or so after I wake up I don't get the sneezing attack until AFTER I get up. My whole family (mother, father and sister) was the same way---they would have a sneezing attack as soon as, or soon after they arose.Can't explain it. I just know that if I'm fast enough to prepare the sinus rinse I'll prevent it. Sometimes I'm not, and like I say I'm miserable for the next few days. Oddly enough, if I'm stuffed up in the morning I don't get the sneeze attack---if my breathing is clear, I'm subject to a sneezing attack . Can't explain it, but it's been like this for five years. Note: I use the Neilmed 8 ounce squeeze bottle and I have to add an extra packet of hypertonic mixture to the isotonic solution that I have premixed in a 64 ounce bottle. It stings a little for 20 seconds or so but it's well worth it.

• Bobbie says:

Of all the replies I have read here, everyone seems to be having the same symptoms, all are attributing the symptoms to hay fever, dogs, cats, flowers, dust, pillows, etc. No one has mentioned mold/fungi. Has anyone had their apartment/home tested for the presence of mold or fungus? I have been suffering all the symptoms and others as well, because my apartment is infested with toxic mold and fungus. It has developed into spores (tiny things invisible to the naked eye, smaller than a particle of dust, and mycotoxins have invaded the premises. I had lab tests done for surface mold. air quality test done for air in apartment and air quality outside for comparison. If I leave the apartment for a period of time, the symptoms begin to ease; when the symptoms come back with a vengence within 15 mins to an hour and continue throughout the day and night. Constant exposure is making me very ill. The spores land on everything; my food, my clothing, my furniture, my skin, my hair etc. Management here refuses to remedy the problem. I have studied mold/fungus ever since I discover the problem. I too blamed it on outdoor allergies at first, even though I had never had that problem before.

I have found out that mold is everywhere in the world and some molds and fungi are beneficial. There are several thousand different kinds of mold/fungus, but only 18 - 20 are dangerous and should NEVER be found INSIDE your living quarters. Tests in the U.S. are very lacking for these toxins and allergists can't always find them as a cause. They can just treat the symptoms; the problem requires removal. You can find all information regarding molds/fungi by searchng your computer. Just pop in the word mold and you'll be amazed at what you find.

Molds/fungi are particularly harmful to young children, people with asthma (or other lung problems), older people (elderly), and people with an immune system problem. Even otherwise healthy people can become sick from prolonged exposure. To date, no limits have been set to determine what is too much, but if it's making you sick, IT'S TOO MUCH FOR YOU. There are Federal Laws regarding toxic mold (actually any mold/fungi) inside a home. It is against the law in most states to rent an apartment or home (or sell one) that has mold any where in it. Some states laws are even more stringent than the Federal ones.

I have four toxic molds in my apartment; Aspergillus, Pennicillium, Claudisporium and Aspospores. These molds are considered (in some of their species) to be toxic, allergenic and pathogenic. The species of the genus of mold is not important when it comes to health. Any mold inside and apartment/home can be dangerous to some people. The only solution is to get out and have the moldy things removed and replaced. If there is too much mold infestation, expensive repairs such as tearing out walls, etc., may need to be done. Any moisture source needs to be corrected.

When you find it - REPORT IT IMMEDIATELY. The sooner the situation is resolved, the better is for you and for the home. These molds/fungi feed on moisture, dry wall, cloth, paper, wood, wallpaper etc. You can find pictures of the different kinds of molds on the internet. Compare them to what you see in your apartment/home, and act quickly.

I have studied the subject night and day (I can only sleep a couple of hours because of the spores in the air) for 10 mos. I live in HUD housing for seniors, handicap, and low income peole. There are 200 apartments here (many children). and I see evidence of mold in multiple areas. I do not have the finances to move and the management claims to have another apartment to which I can move. I've sent certified letters to Management, LLC Mgt. LLC owners, HUD, the Mayor, and even to the government offices for 'Reasonable Accommodation', under the Americans With Disabilities Act (I am in a mobile wheelchair and basically homebound). They passed the buck. I appealed to the Civil Liberties Office; (my inalienable right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is being denied). My right to clean air to breathe and my quality of life is basically non-existent (to me at least). No action.

In May of 2013, after my second hospitalization that year (incorrect diagnosis), I was still driving my car, doing my own errands, etc. Now I am in a wheelchair and have health aides and a nurse, an allergist and a pain specialist (fungus is attacking my arthritis because my immune system is disturbed). I tell you this, not for me, but to make you aware of something that perhaps you did not do. In the last ten years, courts around the U.S. have been overwhelmed with torts due to mold. Mold is being called the 'new asbestos'.

I hope this helps some, if not all, of you. Good luck.

• Brayden says:

If only all householders would become more aware of the serious dangers posed by carbon monoxide poisoning.
    Each year more than twenty people are killed by this odourless, colourless gas escaping from faulty gas boilers and many hundreds more suffer ill
    health caused by it.

• Ina says:

The answer is Vasomotor Rhinitis (Non-Allergic Rhinitis).
    Symptoms are triggered by something that irritates the nose, such as cold air, humidity, and extreame weather change in the morning.

• kenzo says:

my symptoms start in early spring and early morning (between 4-5am). i think the irritation actually awakes me from sleep and this is causing me problems of not having enough rest! does anyone has a similar issue?

• Daniel says:

Hi all, great commments everyone , I suffer same for 15 years and here are my conclusions:

- As some people said it happens any time of day after waking from a long sleep

- It is not related to polen entirely, mold also has a big piece of the cause.

Natural Solution 100% guaranteed

step 1 - put 2 tissues blocking your nostrils and let it acumulate mucus inside
    step 2 - start reading something that requires your full attention such as this article

Done , no need for pills , only problem it makes you look silly

Explanation:

reason for step 1 it reduces the change of temperature in you nose due to cold air or , sometimes from changing rooms temperatures can vary and trigger attack. blood stream increases when you blow yoyr nose and inflamation makes it worse
    you can use a swimmer nose block. or a ball of tissue inside each nostrils

reason for step 2 remove your conciousness from the attack and prevents you from beeing pissed off and irritated with the problem. When you nervous and stressed it increases your blood stream to your head and makes it much worse.

Let me know hoe does this work for you