Switching things around...

Dec 29 2013 Published by under Harebrained ideas

Looking through the race schedule, I've got a couple of switchups I want to make.

April: I could run Charlottesville, but I'd much rather run the Phildelphia Hot Chocolate 15k. Why? BECAUSE DELICIOUS. That's not far though...I will need another race in April.

Perhaps the Dismal Swamp Stomp? Sounds pretty. And flat. I like flat.

July: Scheduled for Columbia, SC. In July. That is some HOT HOT HOT HEAT. In fact, that could be dangerous. I am from such climes, so I could probably be ok. But the desire to escape somewhere nicer is strong. Someplace like Seattle. Or Oregon. Where 100 degrees F + 90% humidity is the stuff of legend only. Any suggestions?

A full marathon: I was thinking to make Philly the full marathon, but it's well known that the second half, out to Valley Forge and back on the Schuykill, is epically boring. And boring is bad. Because when you realize you are bored, you realize you are TIRED. Baltimore has been suggested instead, supposedly a good "challenging" course. Any other suggestions? October/November a must.

Suggestions Welcome!

• Oh, just come run the 10 miler in cville. I'll be on the sidelines cheering.
    It's nice here! I'll buy you a pastry after the race.

• Christina Pikas says:

Marine Corps? Beautiful route.

• I'm also going to suggest the Marine Corps marathon, since it's in October. I've been in the crowd for Marine Corps, DC Rock and Roll, and Philly, and the crowd at the Marine Corps marathon is amazing, if cheering people keep you going.

• Pascale says:

I believe Toronto is in late October or early November, and the weather is not substantially different from Philadelphia at that point in time. Don't know the course; I have only seen the first portions in the urban areas.

• Yoder says:

It's maybe a bit out of your way, but I can strongly recommend the Twin Cities Marathon. It's the first weekend of October, when the weather is usually nice, but cool. The course hits pretty much everything worth seeing between downtown Minneapolis and downtown Saint Paul, and it's mostly flat (though most of the last three miles are one long, gradual climb, which was rough going when I did it). And the spectators are the best I've seen in six marathons—I don't think there was a stretch of more than 100 feet without someone cheering the whole way.

• Dave Munger says:

Aspen half marathon?

Beautiful area of the country -- nice downhill run on beautiful paved greenways in July.

We were there in 2012 but I ran the somewhat-more-insane Kendall Mountain Half Marathon, which is 4,000 feet up and 4,000 feet back down on dirt roads.

• Dan Hough says:

I can recommend the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon in April. Weather is usually pretty nice. Not sure if that is too far from you. I did a 5K leg as part of a family team. Lots of fun and for a good cause.

• arbor bench says:

So we are still alive, despite the 6:1 odds people were giving
    us for surviving our first day. There are many lovely outdoor
    wedding locations, beach weddings, lake front weddings, forest glade
    weddings, mountain weddings, river side weddings, garden weddings,
    the options are endless. By 2007, nearly a billion people around the world were
    thought to participate in various Earth Day activities at colleges, universities,
    schools, libraries, museums, and parks.